Sports Massage is a special form of massage and is typically used before, during and after athletics events or workouts. The purpose of the massage is to prepare the athlete for peak performance, to drain away fatigue, to relieve swelling, to reduce muscle tension, to promote flexibility and to prevent injuries.
- Increases blood circulation and lymph flow
- Reduces the heart rate and blood pressure
- Increases joint range of motion
- Increases flexibility
- Increases elimination of exercise waste products (lactic acid)
- Increases sense of well-being
- Decreases muscle tension
- Decreases neurological excitability (nerves become more relaxed)
- Decreases chance of injury.
- Decreases recovery time between workouts.